September 29, 2014

The seen and unseen and St. Michael the Archangel

I believe in things seen and unseen.

I believe in spirits and demons and angels, and I believe that they are constantly present.

I believe that God created a physical world and a spiritual world; that the angels of the spiritual world have free will just like men and that some of them chose to not follow God. In fact, I have had two experiences in my life which have me convinced that what I believe is true. I'll begin with the angel.


When I was still a young girl, around the age of eight, I woke up one night from a nightmare. I had dreamed that the Sandman was in my room, standing on the other side of my bed, wanting to get me. I still remember what he looked like: his body formed from what looked like blocks of parched ground with sand seeping from the cracks when he moved. He had been silent and scary and as I laid in my bed, facing my bedroom wall, I was certain he was standing behind me.

I curled into a tight, tense ball. I looked up at the rosary that was hanging on my wall and I stared at the crucifix. Over and over and over again I prayed. I was too afraid to call out to my mom who was in the next room. I was too afraid to move. The only thing I could do was pray.

And then I saw a white, transparent hand come down from the air. Its arm disappeared after the wrist. It sort of glowed and I wasn't afraid of it. It touched the very tip of my shoulder and then pulled up again and disappeared. At the spot where I had been touched I felt warm and my muscles relaxed. Like a ripple in water that warmth traveled through my body, taking away all my fear and tension as it spread.

I remember my whole body relaxing and sinking a little into my bed and pillow. I was no longer afraid and I fell back asleep, completely peaceful.


Now something creepier.

A couple of years ago I was walking through an estate sale at the Galva Mansion with my husband's family. We climbed up to the third floor, which was a full attic. There a cousin and I opened a door into a large cedar closet. It smelled amazing and we walked in to check it out.

In the center of the closet was a single light bulb; I pulled on its string to turn on the light. The minute I did chills ran up my back. It felt like something was there, and whatever it was, it felt evil.

"This is really nice," I felt like I did not want to upset whatever was in the room and so I quickly complimented the space, turned off the light, and got out! Back in the open attic, with other people near I shut the door and said to the cousin, "I didn't like it in there. It was like something was there."

"Yeah, as soon as you turned on the light. I felt it too."

The fact that she felt it at the same time creeped me out even more. We decided that we'd seen enough of the Galva Mansion and got out.


So why do I share these stories today? Well, mostly because of St. Michael. In Scripture we see St. Michael fight the devil and protecting Christ's Church. In my own home, based on the experiences I have had and the things I have been taught by my faith, I often call on St. Michael. There have been times when my kids have experienced some odd things, have had intense nightmares, or just felt uneasy. In those moments, in the Name of Christ, I call on St. Michael to defend and protect my home and my family. I ask him to chase out anything that is not of God, not of Light. I do not do this lightly.

I am sure that St. Michael has answered my prayers. Even though the celebration of Michaelmas is new to me, my appreciation of St. Michael and all the angels who have kept me and my family safe throughout the years is very old.

If you have something troubling you, perhaps you could call on St. Michael to defend you in battle, to be your protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. And if you're looking for a way to honor St. Michael and the way God has loved us through His angels then I invite you too to celebrate Michaelmas today.



If you're new here, stick around! You can follow A Knotted Life on Bloglovin' or Feedly.
Plus, I'd love to connect with you. You can find me on InstagramPinterest, and Facebook. I hope to "meet" you soon!

9 comments:

  1. I had just moved into my first apartment and things got creepy at night. My roommate had nightmare so bad so did not stay and no religious things I placed on the walls stayed up while everything else did. One about the second or 3rd night I was trying to sleep and I felt something evil in the corner, the more I could feel it the more I knew that I was evil. All I could do was pray to Saint Michael at the time " help, I'm scared"
    At that moment a friend called me saying she felt something was going on, she picked me up and we went and talked with the Priest at the Newman Center who came and Blessed my whole apartment, and had me and my roommate do it with him. You could feel a new calm in the place after that. My roommate stopped having her horrid nightmare, and all religious pictures and artifacts stayed on the wall after.

    Saint Michael was always my favorite as a kid but he is official my homeboy how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I needed to read this today. I feel as if I am fighting a spiritual battle right now, and I need some help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had been a bit better versed in the St. Michael protection and prayers as a child. I had several very creepy things happen in the house we lived in from when I was age 4 until age 14. I still get creeped out today thinking about them.

    Nowadays, I pray the St. Michael the Archangel prayer any time I feel the need to protect my children. Due to my hsuband's schedule, night time is one of those times I frequently feel the need to do that. I'm glad I know about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Michael and all the angels. Not a day goes by where I don't call upon them. I'm all about guardian angels. I make Clark ask his angel to pray for him every night and I ask penny's and baby's angels to constantly pray for them. I believe penny's angel's prayers saved her life when her knot in her cord didn't hurt her. If it were a smidgen tighter, she would not be with us. I prayed to her angel specifically for no cord accidents because I just had that feeling like something was up with her cord. I LOVE angels!!! St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, and ALL angels pray for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still very, very new to learning, reading about, and hearing about angels. But, I think we may need to dive into learning more about St. Michael. My middle girl is a worrier and is often scared of things she can't name. I'd bet my bottom button that a prayer to St. Michael along with some sort of statue she can touch would ease her anxieties and fears.

    Thanks for posting this, Bonnie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie and Virginia -- I just wanted to say that I didn't grow up with the old Traditions, other than my grandpa had a Guardian Angel light switch cover at his main entry, and all my grandparents keeping their palms from Palm Sunday over their entry doors. I just recently found out it's to keep evil out. I didn't even know much about St. Michael. My daughter knew more, she went to the devotions with the elder ladies of our parish. I was visiting her from out of town when she showed me the Chaplet. I saw her put it back, but when I was leaving I found it in one of my bags. I thanked her, but she looked shocked, saying she didn't give it to me. I apologized, but she refused it back, saying, "You were MEANT to have it!" I thought one of her tots had gotten to it, but she said, "No, I put it up here in this cup -- they can't reach it! You were MEANT to have it!" She didn't know, and I've never really told her, that I was being harassed, without knowing it myself. It started when I lived in a duplex apt. w/ my boyfriend, and my teen son, now 32. Son knew about activity, but didn't tell me they were demons not ghosts. He knew b/c before we moved there, his school friend lived in the next door apt., and another used to visit, and they played Ouija board, when the 3y/o sister started talking like a grown man, every glass broke in cupboards and dishwasher. They threw Ouija board out, but infestation remained. My living sinfully attached them to me, or invited more. I just recently learned that's what's been going on. But the St. Michael Chaplet helped lessen the harassment, and saying the prayer 3x before sleep kept them from harassing me then. Also before other prayer. The St. Michael Chaplet has a St. Michael medal and a St. Benedict medal, blessed. Can't wear chaplet or rosary as jewelry, but may wear medals on a cord or a chain, or keep chaplet or medal nearby. Also near entries, pictures of St. Michael, Guardian Angel. And Palm Sunday leaves. And stay free of sin! to keep your kids safe. May God bless you and keep you safe all the days of your life.

      Delete
  6. Loved this, Bonnie. It's all so very true, and I think some are more sensitive to the spiritual realities/warfare than others. St. Michael, defend us in battle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was right on with what I've been feeling in my life.

    ReplyDelete