May 31, 2013

7 quick takes


1 - I was so glad when he won American Idol.

2 - Completely different than Mr. Phillips: I've been listening to Andrew W.K.'s Party Hard a lot lately. What's up with that?

3 - Do yourself a favor and read this: Worse End of School Mom Ever. It is so. freakin. hilarious. And I don't even have kids in school. I'll quote my two favorite parts:

I haven’t checked homework folders in three weeks, because, well, I just can’t. Cannot. Can. Not. I can’t look at the homework in the folder. Is there homework in the folder? I don’t even know. Are other moms still looking in the homework folder? I don’t even care.

Then Ben tells me Tuesday that he needs a Ben Franklin costume for the Living History Museum today, and I’m like what fresh hell is this??

4 - It's tornado season here in central Illinois. In the house I grew up in we had a finished basement so on tornado watch/warning nights I'd usually sleep on the couch down there. In the home I live in with my 4 small children we sleep on the second story and have a cellar. I asked Travis what his plan was if there was a tornado and the kids were in bed: who would he grab, who would I grab? His answer: I've never thought of it. My plan is to follow my instincts.

So I told him I'd get the girls and he could follow his instincts to the boys' room.

Also, it makes me nervous that we live right across the street from some railroad tracks. Shortly after the Oklahoma tornadoes we slept with the windows open and when the train went by in the middle of the night I jumped out of bed, looked out the window, and tried to figure out if it was the infamous sound of a tornado or just some freight moving on down the line. 

5 - I'm really bad at meal planning and grocery shopping when I'm pregnant. Nothing ever sounds good except food in general and I'm just too tired to think about recipes, let alone actually prepare them. Thankfully I married a teacher, his summer break has begun, and he's taken over the dinner prep.

Last night something really awesome happened and he made supper; loaded, ran, and unloaded the dishwasher twice, baked chocolate chip cookies, folded a bunch of laundry, dug some trenches in the mud pit between our kitchen and garage that's supposed to be a patio so the crazy rain would drain away from the house, and worked in our basement.

A little science humor in honor of my science teacher husband. 
I told you it was awesome.

6 - I'm finishing these up during quiet time but I need to stop because Travis and I are watching Beautiful Creatures. Witches and the Civil War and good and evil and teenagers and the south. So far it's interesting.

7 - Thanks, Jen, for hosting! Happy weekend, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...I HATE post-bedtime tornado warnings! We have a finished basement but no place to lay down there so we've learned to check the news when the tornado sirens go off during the night to make sure the warning is actually for us (since sometimes it's for our county but for the part of the county which is about half an hour north of us...in that case we just sit up and follow the progress and wake our daughter up only if we need to). I've learned that my sense of "we must wake our daughter and take her to the basement NOW" is a lot more heightened than my husband's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like tornadoes or warnings!! I like the idea of a finished basement where we could all go to sleep....I don't have it, but I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our dream home we'd have a finished basement with a movie projector, comfy couch, and the back wall would have enough bunks for all the kids to sleep on.

      Delete
  3. We had a finished basement too. Tornados were way less scary than they would have been without it.
    Cant wait to read that post, I'm laughing just at your excerpts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't really live in a tornado alley, but our current rental does not have a basement. The midwestern girl in me is not ok with this no basement situation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we ALL commiserate with Jen Hatmaker and that essay. Flippin'. Right. ON!!!

    We live in FLA...not a lot of tornadoes until Hurricane season..we also live not too far from train tracks and it is nerve-WRACKING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was younger, my mom used to make me sleep with my tennis shoes next to my bed during tornado season! As soon as the sirens went off, I had to throw my shoes on and run to the basement!

    Needless to say, my kids' shoes are never far from them this time of year! We have a basement, though it's not finished. I hate tornado season as a mom with young kids and a husband who works nights!! The worst storms seem to come at night!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart goes out to you, Leanne! The worst storms do seem to come at night.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read the books but I did like the movie. It had a bit of a cheesy ending, I thought, but I liked looking at everything. It wasn't "too much" but it was lush and real and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we lived in Goodfield, we had no basement at all. Wasn't too comforting considering our apartment in Morton was leveled by a tornado just 3 months after we had moved out. I'm thrilled just to have the ugly 100 yr old basement we have now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been meaning to write you a comment all week... It was great to meet you at Josh and Kim's wedding! Your family is lovely and thanks for letting my kids eat all your pretzels! Praying for you during tornado season and as you get closer and closer to meeting that new little baby of yours! God bless, Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have to make trips to move the kiddies downstairs. Even though we have older kids that could help, they are really hard sleepers and it is about all they can do to stumble down the stairs themselves. Thankfully, we live right next to the Mighty Mississippi on the bluff. Most storms pop right up over us. 'Course last time the sirens went off I was at a wake. We ended up in the basement of the funeral home laughing because this particular deceased great aunt always said, "You don't really have to leave yet, do you?" She figured out a way to keep us all at the wake until the weather had cleared--and that took a while! God bless her!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete