January 25, 2013

7 quick takes

Fair warning: The first three are political.  If you don't want to read about such things skip to #4.

1 - "We goin' march."  Lauryn Hill, this song, this beautiful pro-life song, is what I think of every year when I wish I was marching on D.C. to support life from conception to natural death.  When I wish I was marching on D.C. to support an end to abortion.

2 -
Life doesn't begin at birth, or when the heart starts beating, or at implantation.  It begins at conception.

3 - Lastly, even if you do support abortion, I hope you are at least outraged at the forced abortions that happen in China.  Sadly, I'm not very educated about the matter and I feel like there's little I can do to help women in a communist country.  But an article by Sen. Santorum was eye opening for me.  Here's an excerpt:
Forced abortion and sterilization are gross violations of a woman’s physical integrity. They’re a form of torture that should outrage anyone who cares about justice for women — but they’re greeted with deafening silence because of the battles over elective abortions in the West. The politics of abortion in the West makes normally outspoken women’s advocates reticent. The U.N. women’s agency prominently displays its work in China against domestic violence, but says nothing of the threat that forced abortion and sterilization pose to the health and well-being of a far larger number of Chinese women. 
Read the rest here.

4 - Let's move on to something more uplifting, shall we?  One of my husband's former students recently wrote on his Facebook wall, "My physics professor isn't nearly as awesome as you were :( I'll probably come in and bug you for help soon."
This makes me so proud.  The student is now studying at a prestigious university but Trav is a better teacher.  

5 - Also, I have this super ugly filing cabinet sitting in my living room.  Grey and beat up and u-g-l-y, we ain't got no alibi - it's ugly.  And so when I saw what Deme did with her filing cabinet I was inspired.  I gotta do something similar.  Seriously.  


6 - Thanks to everyone who voted for The Sheenazing Blogger Awards!  There was a HUGE amount of nominations - so many in fact that I had to close the form before it gets totally out of control.  I need to have enough time to still parent my children and be present to my husband.  There may be a more efficient way to do what I'm doing but I don't know what it is... so this is happening instead.  Good thing I'm not totally legit, just some little housewife with a computer and internet access. 

I'll work on the Voting Form and inform all nominated bloggers over the weekend.  Official voting will begin on Tuesday.  Thanks again!
7 - Lastly, I'm wondering if anyone else frequently has to use dictionary.com to check their spelling before posting on Facebook, Twitter, or comboxes?  That site is like my internet bff.

22 comments:

  1. I just had to check my spelling on "touche" - ha!

    That compliment your hubby's student gave him is priceless. My husband is a teacher too and sometimes wonders if he's even getting through to the kids, and when one comes back to let him know he made a difference, I can just see his confidence soar.

    I'm so excited about the Sheenazing Awards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the "getting through" thing. Last night I was helping Travis grade chem papers and they weren't doing so well. He then decided that he was going to teach me, because if I couldn't get it then it was him but if he could teach even me then it was the students' faults.

      It's the students' faults.

      I mean, I was a 'B' Chem student - 13 years ago, the last time I took the class.

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to go to the March for Life! The college I graduated from took 7 huge buses FULL of students.... I bet that's a rockin' atomosphere!

    I got my nominations in for the Sheenazing Blogger Awards! I love contests like these!

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes. Dictionary.com and his best friend Thesaurus.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good post on when life begins, if you haven't seen it:

    http://www.piercedhands.com/on-human-life/

    (She's my sister and she's pretty amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just introduced to her blog via the Sheenazing nominations but I hadn't read this post. It was So. Good! Thanks for sharing it, Rosie.

      Delete
  5. I wish Travis would have been my Highschool physics teacher. Maybe I would of known what I was doing in college when I had to take it for meteorology. Maybe I wouldn't have hated it so much and maybe I would be meteorologist now instead of a dietitian. Wow.. Travis could've changed my world. I miss that funny guy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish Travis would have been my Highschool physics teacher. Maybe I would of known what I was doing in college when I had to take it for meteorology. Maybe I wouldn't have hated it so much and maybe I would be meteorologist now instead of a dietitian. Wow.. Travis could've changed my world. I miss that funny guy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Remember how I still thought you were gonna be a meteorologist for like, the next 3 semesters?

      Delete
  7. dictionary.com all.the.time. Or, I just pick a new word...oops. Also, I love that pic in #2. I have it saved on my phone. It just makes sense, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally makes sense! Which is why I find the rest of the world so annoying that they ignore it. It's like when Protestants say that everything in the Bible is literal, except John 6.

      Facepalm.

      Delete
  8. Lauryn Hill "To Zion "--- such a great song!!!! Hoping to make it to March for Life with all the littles tomorrow in SF!!! And I think motherhood is making me a poor speller. I can 't believe how many spelling/grammar mistakes I make now; I taught English for 7 years!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, that makes me feel so much better! I've always been a bad speller but grammar was the easy part of English for me. But now I'm fairly poor at both.

      And I love that I "know" someone in SF. I loved living out there for my college internship and I still hope that someday I'll be able to take Travis there and show him around. Maybe we can meet up for supper. :)

      Delete
    2. Anytime, Bonnie! Let me know if you're ever able to make it!

      We didn't end up going to the march because Paul is (still) sick, and it was raining in the morning. Didn't want to make him any worse. But, I know a ton of church friends who went. Can't wait to hear their stories!

      Delete
  9. Um, yes, always checking my spelling, because I am SO awful at it. No matter how many times I've seen a word.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find myself just sticking the word in my Google search box because it will suggest a spelling if I've managed to botch a spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To all the other bad spellers - so glad to know I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep! I'm notorious for making up words so I have to check all the time. And what a great compliment to your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I happened to come to your blog to vote for the awards and I just read through a number of your past posts. I have added you to my Google reader! It's funny that I've been following you on Twitter but never actually visited your site before. Now I know better. ;-) Oh and I use dictionary.com but not so much for spelling, rather, because I have too many Princess Bride moments of "I do not think that word means what you think it means." LOL. Have a great day! :-)

    ReplyDelete