June 20, 2014

7QT - cupcakes, good news, book club, soccer, & back at mama's


This is a great example of what country music is supposed to be: a story, mama, southern hospitality, a little bit of twang, beer,


2 - June is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Christ. I made some red velvet cupcakes for our mom group last week because even though I had missed the official feast day it's still June! So it looks like I didn't forget! Yay! The good news is you've still got time, too. Oh, the mercy of God.
They were easy to make, too! I bought a big jar of cream cheese frosting and reserved a bit. After I placed a strawberry slice on each cupcake I colored the remaining frosting pink and added it to a baggie with it's corner cut off. Then I piped on the "fire" coming out of the top of the "heart." I added some blue and yellow food coloring to the pink frosting, making a light brown frosting and then piped on the "crown of thorns."

Cute and delicious.


3 - Auntie Leila has a new post this week with some parenting tips for handling a difficult five year old. I like Leila's writing in that the proof is in the pudding - her kids turned out well, she has some real wisdom, and what she's saying makes sense. But oh it does not make me feel better. I'm already exhausted and now she's telling me to work harder! To do more! She's supposed to be telling me to take a nap!

Auntie Leila, you're killing me! I don't want you to tell me to swim, that I can do it, that this is the way to do it. I feel like I'm drowning here and I want you to throw me a donut float and pull me through the lazy river.


4 - I hope you heard the really great news about my son JF, his alleged miracle, and Venerable Sheen's cause for canonization! I wrote a bit about it here, reminding people of one very important detail.


5 - Last night I had a Something Other Than God book club.
 It had been a very bad, very long, horrible day and ending it with a group of my friends was so good. My husband gifted us with a quiet house by caring for the kids and so we were able to drink our SOTG cocktails and non-alcoholic sangrias, enjoy a bite of strawberry pretzel salad, and discuss our faith, Jen and Joe's conversion, and Tupac Shakur.
It was GREAT. It was also the first time I've been part of a book club that wasn't also a Bible study. Gosh, I really liked it.


6 - Kendra's comments on the World Cup are hilarious and spot on. You should read them. My favorite piece on soccer and the World Cup is still Joel Stein's from 2002. It's called "The Rest of the World Cup" and it's hilarious.


7 - Just a reminder that I'm doing some traveling this summer and speaking about JF, Venerable Sheen, and the alleged miracle. I'll be at:
 Theology on Tap in Indianapolis this coming Wednesday, June 25th.
St. Ignatius Loyola Catholic Church following the 5:15pm Mass on Sunday, July 27th in Spring, TX.
Theology on Tap with the Lake County, IL YAM on Monday, August 4th.

If you're in the area I'd love to meet you!


12 comments:

  1. HA! Just read Kendra's post and she's so right! However, I have my own fan scarf for MacMurray... ;-) I find myself understanding the game more as my kids play with coaches who actually played too.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous you'll be in Indy - and Broad Ripple, no less! Hopefully some great friends of mine will be there to cheer you on. Enjoy Indy, it's a great, great place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the strawberry pretzel "salad" recipe. It was yummy last night. By the time I got home the storm had prompted 3 little ones to be sleeping on my bedroom floor. Thank you for hosting us; it is so nice to be with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel steins article. I'm crying laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving those cupcakes! that is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie! I've been so down because I can't make Edel, but maybe, MAYBE I can make it to your talk in Spring! I'd LOVE to meet you!!! And to hear your talk!! It'll be cutting it close, as we'll be just be getting back in town that day (late afternoon?) after a 2 day drive, but it's really important to me, so we're gonna do everything we can to make it happen. Thanks for sharing your story (and your blog!) with us here in Houston. You've just lifted my spirits immensely! Squeal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cupcakes are awesome!
    Good luck with all your speaking engagements and can't wait to meet you at Edel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your cupcakes! And looks like such a fun time at your book club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those cupcakes! And that's so exciting you'll be coming to Spring...hoping my husband and I can come!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cupcakes! And both of those links about soccer were hilarious, thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete