March 1, 2019

I have an announcement to make

I WROTE A BOOK!


I've wanted to tell you guys that for the last five years. And WOW, it feels good to finally say it.

What's it about, you ask? Well, it's the story of James' birth and (alleged) miraculous healing through the intercession of Venerable Fulton Sheen. If you don't really know what I'm talking about let me bring you up to date:

My son James was born eight and a half years ago, a planned homebirth. Everything was beautiful and perfect until James was born lifeless. Not able to find a pulse, my midwife began CPR; Travis performed an emergency baptism; our friend called 911; and I sat in a state of shock, repeating "Fulton Sheen" in my head, unsure of how to pray for my son and therefore calling on my friend and James Fulton's patron to pray.

James was taken to the hospital and when the ED team stopped working on him to call time of death his heart started again - 148 beats / minute. He had been without a pulse for 61 minutes.


The doctors expected massive organ failure or, at best, for James to be very severely disabled. But we continued to pray, begging God for a miracle and asking Archbishop Sheen to pray for a miracle, too. And by the time he was one year old it was obvious that James would not only survive but that there would be no significant residual damage from that hour he was dead.

The Sheen Foundation and Diocese of Peoria held a tribunal to investigate our alleged miracle and it was submitted to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints for Venerable Sheen's beatification.

This book tells that story.

Almost six years ago I signed a contract with Our Sunday Visitor to write this book. We did things privately, wanting to be respectful of the Church and Sheen's cause. And when the cause came to a pause we set the completed book aside. We waited and hoped and prayed. Over the years we discussed if now was the right time, but it never was.

Until right now.

I'm not sure what will happen next with the cause but in the end we decided that James' story is a powerful one and it brings glory to God. So I found my old manuscript, cleaned it up, brought it up to date, and resubmitted it to OSV. I just got it back from my editor, ready for my revisions.

The book will be released in late August or early September and will be available for pre-order at the end of the school year. Over the years many of you have reached out online or spoken with me after a talk and asked "When will you write a book?" I always wanted to say, "I HAVE!" and now I finally can.


I will keep you posted with the title, cover, and all the details. I have wanted to share this excitement with you because - and I mean this so very sincerely - so many of you are a part of this book. You prayed for James. You also asked God for a miracle. You sent our family meals, gift cards, prayers, and cash. You carried us when we could barely keep our heads above water. Travis and I have never forgotten that and we never will.

Thank you for your love and support over the years and right now. When Travis and I share James story we always want it to first and foremost bring glory and honor to God. We want it to also inspire people to befriend Fulton Sheen so that his holy witness will bring them closer to Christ. We want it to give people hope. We hope that this book does that for you.

+JMJ+

29 comments:

  1. Ahhh! Congratulations, Bonnie! I’m so proud and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Congrats, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best news of the day! Well deserved friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such good news, Bonnie! I'm glad that you can finally share it - your book will touch lives. - nancyo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yaaaaaaas! This is such great news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just the sweetest Bonnie! I can’t wait to read your miraculous story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful, Bonnie!!!! I love your testimony. I deactivated my facebook recently and started checking my blogger reading list again, and I love that I'm still finding content from (most of) the women who (unkowingly!!) cheered me on during the early years of motherhood and ministry and husband's schooling in a town where we moved without knowing anyone to pursue it. Thanks for always sharing your insights, struggles, and victories as you run the race. So happy for this beautiful moment and for the gift Sheen (and JESUS!) gave your son! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible. Goosebumps! I am so excited to read this and already can’t wait! Fulton Sheen has become a good friend of mine over the years;) Rooting for you Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes!!! This story is amazing and must be told. SO happy for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations!! That's so wonderful & amazing to share such a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete