November 8, 2013

Seven Quick Takes: Cake, Millenials, Squash, and Faree Pris


1 - My favorite Cake song ever!

2 - I had the super cool opportunity to interview Simcha Fisher about her book The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning for Ignitum Today. You can read it here if you're interested.

3 - I saw a quiz on Facebook yesterday - How Millennial Are You? It turns out that a lot of my friends, even those who are Millennials are more like Gen Xers. I, on the other hand, scored a 12 putting me right over the Silent generation's line into Baby Boomer. If you take the quiz tell me what you get - it's fun. And it's super short!

4 - The quiz reminded me of a time I was at a Theology on Tap a few years ago. The speaker asked for a show of hands of everyone born in 1982 or after. All the Millenials around me raised their hands. Then he asked for a show of hands for everyone born in 1981 or before. I was the only one who raised my hand. I was like 27 years old and suddenly I felt really old.

5 - A local pumpkin farmer donated a huge amount of pumpkins and gourds for our parish's All Saints' party. He also gave me a few for cooking including this grandaddy of a squash.
Here it is with my coffee cup to give you some perspective.
I was surprised at how easy it was to cut up, I was pretty sure I'd be breaking a knife judging by its size. But it was super easy to cut and clean and bake. I pureed it and now I have all kinds of squash ready to be made into soup and baked into pie and....
and I don't know... is there anything else I can do with it? 
Because I got a lot of it.

6 - I dropped the ball on Halloween because I didn't get a picture of the kids in their costumes. What I'm really disappointed by is that I didn't get a picture of them in their soaking wet costumes. Literally, we were dripping wet. 
But L's got my back because she wrote a book at school about Halloween night.
She can spell her name - I don't know why it's messed up here.
It says, "I was a fairy princess."
Action shot of the trick or treating. She left out the pouring rain and the cold wind but it was there in real life.

7 - And on a final note, I would just like to say that I hate selling a house. 


Thanks, Jen, for hosting!

19 comments:

  1. I'm a 66, and I blame my lower back tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the test and came up with a 6...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cake, although Short Skirt/Long Jacket is probably my favorite song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I scored a 26. Sounds about right. Re squash, I mix in a little butter (or coconut oil) and some cinnamon, vanilla extract and maybe a little brown sugar if it needs it, and eat it by the bowl full. I love the stuff and it's so good for you!

    Way to go on the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (sorry about asking...referring to number seven)
    But yay for squash! Freeze it in an ice cube tray for when baby boy starts eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a 22 in "How Millennial Are You?" So I think I'm a Baby Boomer? Sounds right...except I was born in the late 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a 55...but I really should be higher because I have to market and recruit millenials...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a 43, which I found surprisingly high for me....if they had asked a few more general lifestyle questions I think it would have been more accurate. Apparently I'm like a baby boomer who likes technology.

    Also, high five, I have the same coffee mug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a 49, which seems about right! Neat quiz, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. We're almost twins I got a 91!!

      I think it was pretty accurate I do a lot of the things millenials do but there are a lot of things I don't do that this quiz didn't really ask. But what can you expect from a free internet quiz? It was fun!

      I remember when I was always the youngest one at Theology on Tap..I know I'm getting old when that is no longer the case :(

      Delete
  11. I'm a 63 on the quiz, so I guess that makes me more Millenial than GenX, though by birthdate, I'm slightly older than that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a 25 now, but I took that test a few years ago and scored like a 4. At the time I didn't have a FB account, never sent texts, and still read the daily paper, all of which has changed (cancelled the paper just last week).

    ReplyDelete
  13. #3: i scored an 11... and born in 1980. i don't text, read the daily paper, and am religious. go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMGosh, i took that quiz and I don't trust it one bit, LOL. I am nowhere near that millenial (had me at 65! hahahahaha) I would imagine it is because I text more than more people my age and am into the social media stuff and read most of my news via Twitter (articles posted there) or go online or something. Oh and I contact my government officials. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got a 44, which pretty much makes me a middle-of-the-road Gen Xer. Sort of depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some sqaush recipes to share from a farmer friend's blog. Soup, Pancakes, pie..
    http://fordragonfliesandme.com/2013/11/10/fall-harvest-recipes-squash-is-on-the-menu-tonight/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm late to the party but I thought it was strange that I scored a 69. Almost a Millenial!! But I'm a baby boomer!!! My siblings and I plus alot of my coworkers who are not millenial are all into social media. Baby boomers that I know are into social media as much as, and in some cases, more than my nieces and nephews. Most of us only don't have land lines anymore, either. My sister and sister-in-law both got tats in their mid-40's. Well, as someone else said above, it's only a free internet quiz!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I took the quick and got a 15. That makes me on the old side of the Baby Boomers! And I was born in 1982! Hah!

    ReplyDelete