October 27, 2013

Seven Quick Takes


1 - I heard this song for the first time last weekend. We were all in the van and Travis turned it up while telling me how he liked the song. With the first "Sail" I heard I thought he was saying "Sale" and so I started calling out things like "Buy One Get One!" and "Memorial Day" right before "Sail!". "Fifty percent off!" "Sail!"

chuckle chuckle snort snort. I crack myself up.


2 - L got Resa out of her crib the other morning and then came up to me.
"Mommy, feel Resa's face. It's so fluffy!"
She's pretty much right, too, ya know. I just love, love, love, love baby and toddler skin. It's so tight and smooth and covering a sweet, plumpy adorableness. It's just so fluffy.


3 - Did you hear about Brandon Vogt? Basically one of the most awesome Catholics today - Fr. Robert Barron - decided that Brandon is so excellent that he needs to be working for him. And so now Brandon is. How cool is that?!

And way to go, Brandon! Congrats on your new job with Word on Fire and God bless you and the whole team on all the good work you do!


4 - A few nights ago I had a dream that I was Jennifer Fulwiler's personal assistant. She had become super famous and I think a movie was being made about her book. We needed to order posters to advertise the movie and she told me to get three million. Then Grace Patton called and I took a message because Jen was super busy. When I delivered the message I was scolded because Jennifer will always take a call from Grace and I should always put her through.

For the record, I've spoken with Jen on the phone, exchanged emails with her, and spent time with her in person. She's not a demanding jerk at all so I don't know why I dreamed her that way but it was pretty funny, especially the part about Grace so I just had to share.

I hope you're laughing, Mrs. Fulwiler, ma'am.


5 - There's a lot of conversation going on right now about Halloween. Should we trick-or-treat as saints, as whatever, as whatever but within reason, or not at all. I'm pretty sure that how I feel about it as the mother of small children is slightly different than how I'll feel about it as the mother of teens and preteens but for what it's worth my kids will be pirates and fairies and animals for trick or treating and then saints for the All Saints' party at our church. I'm okay with spooky but not scary, again because of the ages of my kids, and I think there is a lot of evil tied up with Halloween. But I think there's a lot of good in it too, especially when its married to All Saints and All Souls days

So all that to say, I made asked my super talented friend to make a little catechetical coloring book for me to use at the parish Halloween / All Saints' party I'm organizing. We brainstormed together, she drew all the pictures and assembled the book, I proofed it and made some more suggestions, she didn't wring my neck, and now we have an awesome coloring book that you can use too - for free!

Isn't that GREAT?!! You can go to Katie's blog, Look to Him and Be Radiant, for more coloring pages and the whole book! (Plus tons of other great stuff for teens, pre-teens, and kids.)


6 - I really love Deme's blog and I'm enjoying following along with her House For Five's 31 Days of Moving. If you like looking at remodeling before and after pictures you should check it out for sure! Deme is so creative and does a lot of her stuff on a small budget - which I can appreciate.


7 - If you missed my newest video on liturgical living you can find it here. (It's about Mary.) Maybe I should name the videos - like it's a show. Got any ideas? I meant it when I said I'm not always very creative and so I have to look to other people, like Katie in #5.

6 comments:

  1. I like the song! I use you as my window into all the music-related stuff, as I'm still stuck in the 80's. (Literally.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing the Halloween book! I just printed it for my kids, and we are all enjoying it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BONNIE! Thanks so much to you and your friend for the Halloween/All Saints booklet. You totally rock.

    Also, that dream is fabulous. The other night I had a dream that Hallie Lord was the voice for Simcha's Audible book. Ha! Blogger dreams must mean... I spend too much time thinking about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would take a lot more than that for me to wring your neck. I like your inner English Major. She comes in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks for the shout out Bonnie :) "Fluffy" toddler skin is just the best and that Halloween booklet is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the coloring book. I am using it in my fourth grade class this year as a way to teach them that Halloween/All Saints' Day is about more than just candy.

    ReplyDelete