May 8, 2013

Five Favorites

Thanks to Grace for hosting!

#1 - Emeli Sande's song Next to Me.

Love this one.


#2 - Birthmother's Day
Source
This coming Saturday is Birthmother's Day, the day before Mother's Day when we commemorate the women who lovingly placed their children with adoptive parents. It falls the day before Mother's Day because their motherhood came first and allowed for the motherhood that is celebrated on Sunday.

I stand in awe of birthmothers and if there's any birthmoms out there reading this I just want to say YOU ARE AWESOME! THANK YOU for your bravery and love.


#3 - Naps.
I've already had one today and it's not even 9am!


#4 -  This girl.



#5 -  Silver Lining Playbook

I've been waiting for this one to come out on video and it was SO worth the wait. I may actually need to own this film because I liked it so much. I like that it shows how people do stupid, dangerous things when we're in a bad place. I like that it doesn't have a sex scene (well, there is a sex scene and some nudity but it's in a different context where the people are obviously in the wrong). I like that the characters and situations seem fairly real and are believable. I love the dialogue and I laughed out loud through much of the film. I love how quirky it is. If you like the tv show New Girl I think you'll like this movie.

UPDATE: Please note that if you do not like New Girl you will probably hate this movie and find it vulgar and unfunny.

11 comments:

  1. I love "next to me!" I'm a little embarrassed that the first time I heard it was when it was done on Glee...but I'm in love with it now. I've never heard about Birthmother's day. What a great day to remember the birth mommies. And THANKS for the SLP review. I really really really want to see this movie and now I am more excited to do so! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silver linings Playbook is awesome. I cried when I saw it in the theater.

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the show New Girl (though very immoral, shame on me) and I think this will be a weekend rental for us. I think I can use the "it's Mother's Day weekend" card to get my hubby to watch it with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immorality in New Girl - I know. So sad. I hate all the sex - the show would be near perfect without it.

      But the writing is so funny. Oh my gosh the way they have developed the oddness of each person - LOVE it.

      And some day I will play True American. We could bush up on the rules and play together some night. :) (http://trueamericanrules.com/)

      Delete
    2. BUT - if I were to play True American we'd have to have bottles of beer and bottles of water because I am a True American lightweight who does not want a hangover.

      Delete
  4. Bonnie, I never knew about birthmother's day before. How beautiful! What a great way to celebrate and to thank the women who so sacrificially bless our world with children who other parents are eager to love!

    Also, love your writing here and on Ignitum Today, thanks for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking as a person who writes blog posts about how I shouldn't listen to pop music, I have to say that . . . I really like that song too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2 things.
    1) Naps was on my list too. Not that I actually get to take them, but when the children do, it's like better than recess.
    2) I freaking adored Silver Linings Playbook. I thought it was such an awesome take on mental illness. And love. And weirdness. so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryan and I just watched Silver Linings Playbook this week and we loved it! I never would've made the connection to the New Girl though. Different quirkiness :) But yes, I loved that it was real. Real problems, real reactions, real quirks, and still no sex! I never thought Hollywood could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love #4, she looks so much like my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie!! Emeli's song is JAMMIN'!! It's my current crazy-dance song. I LOVE it toooooo! I always have to check out your 5 things....get something new each time. Off to watch Silver Linings while I attempt to fold laundry. :)

    ReplyDelete