September 8, 2013

Noteworthy events I've been ignoring and why

In late May my baby girl, Resa, turned One.

One.

I know an entire season has gone by and I didn't document the party, but better late than never. Some posts I write because I need or want to work through some feelings or thoughts. But the reason I started this blog, and the reason for many of my posts is posterity's sake. I want my kids and I to be able to look back and see what song I loved some Friday in February in 2012, and what we wore and did some random week in October 2010, and how I felt as I grew as their mother.

Other things have happened and I want to share those stories and pictures, too. I'm giving myself a goal of doing that in the coming weeks.

Resa's First Birthday Party

JP's Birth Story

JP's Baptism

L's First Day of School

Selling of Ye Olde House

I'll share a secret with you. The reason I haven't been able to write about these things or anything else really isn't because I'm so busy. That's part of it, but I could have made room for it. The reason is because I've been dealing with postpartum depression.

JP is almost two months old now and I've been on some medication for about three weeks. Fortunately when I realized that my family and I needed some help I was able to text my midwife and tell her how I was feeling. I was also able to arrange for friends or family to be with me every single day so I wouldn't be alone with the kids until the drugs were working and I was feeling better. I am so blessed by the community of generous, supportive friends that I have. The medication I'm on has made a wonderful difference for me, too. I'm finally feeling like my old self - the one who could laugh things off and not blow a gasket when someone unrolled all the toilet paper.

So there it is, friends. The internet is awesome but sometimes you gotta take a break from it to focus on being well and looking out for family. Or, you know, I need to.

And now bear down! You're about to be inundated with posts about my kids! Woooo!

24 comments:

  1. I was wondering why we hadn't heard from you lately. I appreciate your honesty and hoping it helps other mothers heal or move forward in their circumstances as well. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had severe PPD after my second son. I am glad that you had a good support network to help you through until the medicine started working and that you are feeling better.
    I am looking forward to your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you, Bonnie! God Love you, and may VEN. Sheen continue to intercede for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, Bonnie. Glad you are getting relief from the meds. Your family is probably grateful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continued prayers for you Bonnie. Glad you're feeling better and I'm looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I had been as smart as you after having my 3rd baby. I was definitely depressed but too proud to get help. Good for you for taking the right steps. I am glad you're feeling better now and can't wait to read the future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very smart and loving to take care of yourself so you can take care of your family. I know it is hard to share something so personal in a public place, but it may help someone else recognize symptoms and get the help they need.

    looking forward to the posts about your kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you were so proactive in doing what your family needed! You are such a great mom Bonnie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on ya. Looking forward to reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *hugs* i'm glad you were proactive in doing what you needed to do and in asking for help. that makes you an incredibly awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for you and your beautiful family! Glad the medication is helping.

    ReplyDelete
  12. God bless pharmaceuticals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely wondered where you'd gone!! We missed you. Glad you're feeling a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for you Bonnie! I've been missing your posts and wondering if things were ok. Please please please let me know if I can do anything to help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Bonnie! Good for you! I'm so glad to hear you were able to realize you needed help and get it! Going on meds for depression after my 2nd daughter (and staying on them long-term) was life-changing. I was having a faithful Catholic's ideation: Why doesn't Jesus come back RIGHT NOW!!! I still have those moments, but generally life is good and the meds help me logically think through the depression/rage/anxiety when they come.

    I'm looking forward to more posts, as you're able. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kudos Bonnie for getting help with the PPD. Luckily one of my husband's aunts talked to us about it or I wouldn't have even realized to ask for help. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Bonnie. I have definitely missed you. What a strong person you are to recognize what you needed, to get it, and to share with us.

    Prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry for such an intense suffering. Thank God the meds are working!! Looking forward to all of these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie - good for you for realizing that you were depressed and seeking help. I live with chronic depression and know exactly what you have been going through. God bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you are feeling better, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been there too. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad you're feeling better, Bonnie! Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so proud of you for posting about PPD on Ignitum today. I'm pregnant with number six and have been a little worried what to do if PPD hits me in the Spring. That's to your article, I feel a lot more confident. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete