July 12, 2013

Seven Quick Takes - the Joseph Peter edition


1- What does this song have to do with me giving birth? Practically nothing but in my odd little mind it's related. Tuesday morning I did not wash my hair, opting instead to save up all the greasiness for the post-delivery shower so I'd feel even more magnificently clean. As I pulled my hair up in a ponytail and pinned back my bangs I noticed that the wispy fly-aways on the top and sides of my forehead were curled and flying away like crazy - like, if you will, the wings of a bird. And that, of course, made me think of a random British ska pop song from the early 1980's.


2 - Here he is, Joseph Peter. He's so handsome, even with that bruised, purple forehead. 
He is named for St. Joseph, whom Travis has a strong devotion to. Joseph also happens to be the confirmation name of our son's great grandfather, grandfather, and father. It's also his uncle's middle name.
Peter is for his older brother and also for St. Peter.
We also like that his initials are a little nod to one of our favorite popes, JPII. 


3 - After all kinds of rigamaroll Joseph was born at 8:35pm on Wednesday, July 10th. He's 21.5" long and he weighed 11lbs 7.4oz. This time I had an epidural and it made a huge difference. 
Proof that he weighed that much.


4 -  This is me before I went to the hospital to be induced. I am big, of course, but there is no way I am as big as when I was pregnant with Resa (who weighed 11lbs 9.5oz). We all thought this baby would be 10 lbs but no way did we expect another 11 pounder. No way. 


5 - Here's Travis holding his son, right after birth. They both look so handsome, I think. In the background you can see the card L made for me to take to the hospital and the flowers my mom sent me. Both are so lovely.


6 - As you probably know, I was really scared about this delivery. I know so many friends (online and in real life) were praying for us over a matter of days and even months. We are so very, very grateful and I believe the view from my hospital bed was one of the ways God answered your prayers and helped to bring me peace. Those two spires are St. Mary's Cathedral and I loved looking at it and knowing that Jesus was right there, in the tabernacle. I felt very close to God every time I glanced that way.


7 - Joseph and I are still at the hospital. We're both doing really well but just when we thought we'd get to go  home last night some lab results came back saying he has a high risk for jaundice. So right now he's camping out under the lights and I'm waiting for Travis to get back from home with some clean underwear so I can shower. 

On that note, I leave you with baby toes and a link to my list of things I said while in labor.

Thank you, Jen, for hosting and for the well wishes!

32 comments:

  1. Welcome to the air, Joseph Peter! Congratulations to all! I'm a little weepy over here, don't mind me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these, especially your view! Did you have T at St Francis hospital?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, both babies were at Methodist for insurance reasons.

      Delete
  3. When I saw the picture of Travis holding little (big) Joseph on facebook it just took my breath away. I actually thought it was one of those sponsored ads because the picture was so perfect and the man was so handsome. A wonderful husband and a healthy baby boy. An an epidural that made things better! I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so happy for you all and love that view out the window. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Bonnie!!!! I had a ten pound baby, but 11 pounds? My hat is off to you!!! Enjoy that sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and Joseph is awesome! I read your post about his big brother and I'm glad I did. So glad you shared it. Losing a child is so painful, so sorrowful.

    God bless you and your family and welcome Baby Joseph!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may not have felt this way, but in your pic you are ALL boobs and belly! You looked fantastic for carrying an 11-pounder. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and welcome to Baby Joseph!
    Hope all goes well jaundice wise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations and hope you get to go home soon with your beautiful new son!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! So glad everything turned out well for everyone involved. He is beautiful! And way to go on not tearing - that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't even imagine giving birth to an 11 pound baby! You are a rock star. Congratulations. I prayed for you on Tuesday because I read that you were nervous.

    The baby is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say is that delivering my 9 lb baby boy was an ordeal. There aren't enough hands in the world to applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. baby toes!!!!! *squees*

    congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!! He is beautiful and you. are. a. ROCKSTAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Bonnie! So proud of you. I love the name you chose. He's so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to all of you! He is so handsome, and the name is perfect! Enjoy cuddling him and I hope you get to go home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Bonnie! He is so sweet! And a big boy too! You look gorgeous in your pre-birth picture!

    I am so happy for all of you - please give Joseph a kiss from me and here is a hug for you ((Bonnie)).

    Love, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bonnie, we are so happy for your sweet family. Epidurals are heaven. We'll continue to keep all of you in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bonnie, I said it on Twitter and I'll say it again, You Rock! He's such a big cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations; he's beautiful! I love his name!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so happy for you! Congratulations! Continued prayers for you and Joseph.

    ReplyDelete
  22. He's super handsome, I love the name , and the view couldn't have been better!
    Congrats to you mama and to the fam - 😊

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome to the outside world, beautiful boy! And congrats, momma! You deserve a little dark rum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a darling! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Bonnie! He's really gorgeous! I can't believe how big your babies are-you deserve many good, stiff, drinks in celebration! Prayers for you, and hopes for some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!!!! He's beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  27. He's beautiful, and I love all the meaning and family connection in his name!

    ReplyDelete
  28. He is so handsome, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sweet! Congratulations on your happy, healthy baby! Also, I am in love with your belly shot! It's beautiful :).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations, I knew you had this precious sweet babe just hadn't been able to get over to visit. He's gorgeous and so are you. :)

    andrea
    www.mommainflipflops.com

    ReplyDelete