April 22, 2013

Five reasons Sheen should be a saint

The Catholic Church lifts up holy men and women as role models for us, examples of people who heard God say “Be holy as I am holy” and set themselves to that task. We can look at the timeline of their lives and see their obvious sins and struggles and how they overcame them by relying on God, His Sacraments, and His Word. As we study the lives of the saints, we see their personalities and they become our friends. As such, we are confident that just like our loved ones surrounding us on Earth, our heavenly companions are praying for us.

Currently, Holy Mother Church is in the midst of the canonization process for Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen. Many of faithful, myself included, hope that he will one day be declared a saint. Having already investigated Sheen’s writings, the Vatican recently read through almost 2,000 pages of witness testimony and on June 28, 2012 declared Sheen “Venerable,” putting him just one step away from “Blessed.” Three alleged miracles have been sent to Rome, including one involving my stillborn son James Fulton, with the hopes that one will be declared a true miracle, bringing about Sheen’s beatification.

Occasionally people wonder, “Why Sheen?” Why did my husband and I name our boy after him and why do we consider him worthy of being a saint? My answer: Here are five reasons why Venerable Sheen should be canonized and why our culture needs his example and his intercession.


You can read the rest of the article, Venerable Fulton Sheen: A Model for the New Evangelization, at Human Life International's Truth & Charity Forum

11 comments:

  1. Bonnie, amazing post.... I'm so moved by your story; it's astounding and beautiful...

    Thank you, thank you.
    xxoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bonnie. I'm a convert, and don't know much about Archbishop Sheen except a few really great quotes. Reading about your son's miracle really touched my heart this morning. I can't imagine how blessed you must feel, having a bonafide miracle in your little boy running around the house. Thank you so much for sharing his story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lerin! (You have a beautiful name, by the way!)

      Delete
  3. My eyes were welling up and I have a lump in my throat. Thank you so much. I've passed the story on to my wife who helps write the blog for the Sisters of the Gospel of Life based over here in Glasgow, Scotland. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adrian! Blessings to you and your wife and your beautiful homeland.

      Delete
  4. Reason #1: Sheen IS a saint! I wanna know, who questions that? I challenge them to a duel in defense of his honor! c;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, Bonnie. Up until last year I worked with a lady who was about 42. I related to her a funny quote from Bishop Sheen and she told me she had been baptized by him when she was a baby! She's from the Northeast originally living here now in Texas. I was duly impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember little bits of him from my youth, and this is a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a young adult, I attended his Mass and heard his wonderful homily at the Cathedral in Peoria Il. I can never forget this priest and I pray daily that he will become a Saint.I have read several of his great books.

    ReplyDelete