April 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes


1 - Love this song. I know some of you play the songs for your kids and if you're not already familiar with this be warned that "Give them hell" is part of the chorus.


2 - I give that warning in case your kids are like my kids. Because Ben walks around the house saying, "Oh damnit." And his dad doesn't cuss.


3 - Last night my friend Katie was over and she was asking her goddaughter, L, what she wanted to be when she grew up. "Well, my first choice is to be a princess in a large castle. Or a farmer." Katie, who grew up on a farm and is very much a farm girl asked her what kind of farmer she would be.  L rattled off some veggies she would grow and then changed her mind.

"Maybe I will have unicorns and they'll make rainbows," she said so sweetly. And then I lost it and started laughing because I thought "out their butts." Except I didn't think 'butts'. What kind of mom am I?


4 - The reason Katie came over was to help make invitations to L's 5th birthday party. Here's a little glimpse of the cards for the Lorax themed party.

I don't know if people will get the whole "We thneed to celebrate" or the "where the grickle grass grows" parts but hopefully they'll just assume it's from the book/movie and roll with it.

Roll with it, people!


5 - Confession: I finally watched Les Mis... and I only sorta liked it. I had never seen it before and didn't know that it was a musical in that every blessed thing was sang. There were many parts where I thought, "If only this were dialogue I wouldn't be bored."

Are you gonna throw something at me?


6 - Earlier this week I visited Katie's 5th grade classroom (she's a teacher at a Catholic school, a DRE, and her parish's youth group leader, which is why she has so many awesome crafts/lessons for so many age groups for free on her blog). They've been learning about Fulton Sheen and so I spoke to them about JF's alleged miracle and the canonization process. They were awesome, awesome kids and I had a lot of fun.


7 - And here it is, your moment of Zen:

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so glad I'm not the only one whose dislike of musicals interfered with enjoying Les Mis. I actually have not seen it. Once I realized it was a musical, I knew I couldn't enjoy it.

    I really enjoy your blog, by the way!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same reaction to Les Mis. I couldn't finish it because it annoyed me that there was zero dialogue outside of the singing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, you are so hip! How do you become aware of all these cool songs week after week? I feel like I never know what's happenin' on the music scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm that's interesting about Les Mis! I didn't realize that there is no dialogue. That's going to make it even harder to convince Ryan to watch it with me. We'll just pretend I never read this post....

    Also - What kind of mother are you? The fun one. Ryan and I were just thinking about what inappropriate things Lucy is going to say. There's a lot. A Lot. alot alot. In fact, I'm pretty sure his parents will try for custody after she starts talking. I'm hoping to catch it all on video :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't thrilled with Les Mis - though being freshly Catholic I got a lot more out of the themes of forgiveness, etc. (actually had a long conversation at work about why there are no really happy endings in the story, until Valjean is welcomed into heaven. It's powerful stuff).

    The lack of dialogue I was prepared for having seen it live (it kind of falls into the genre of musical operetta), but I HATED the fact that Hugh Jackman tried to "talk sing" so many of his greatest songs. The role is written for an incredibly strong tenor and he just messed it up - google/youtube "Colm Wilkinson" and you'll hear how the role is supposed to be done (IMHO), he was the original Valjean (and the priest in the movie).

    p.s. Yes, I was a theatre major in college how could you tell? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5-yes, I'm throwing things through the computer. And here I thought we had so much in common....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the book and hated the movie. Fantine selling her hair, her teeth, her body?! Not in Victor Hugo's version. All the innuendo and immodesty was totally offensive to me. Now, if somebody wants to take that book and make a faithful adaptation that would be something to see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, so I laughed out loud at Lydia saying her first choice when she grew up would be a princess in a large castle, because that is totally something I would say. Like, even right now...at the age of 29.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the book and the musical and was prepared to dislike Les Mis, the movie. But I did like it. Russell Crow cannot sing, but I thought the other actors did a really marvelous job. But it's definitely not the book...

    Also, your daughter is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still laughing at your moment of zen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE Musicals so when I heard Les Mis was coming out AND it was a musical I was like awesome! Although I didn't really know the story. TONS of people were talking about it. We went and saw it and I was SOOOOO LOST half the movie. I kept thinking what the heck is going on?!!? You can get the book for free and I thought maybe that would help me understand it and then I found out it is 1000 pages long uh yeah not happening.

    I will have to check out your friends blog I help out with middle school and confirmation and always looking for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband felt the same way about Les Mis. He couldn't take that everything was sung! He was happy when I told him that there was someone else who shared the same opinion!

    ReplyDelete