April 12, 2013

7 Quick Takes


1 - I'm sure you woke up this morning craving some solid country music from the 90's. And so you're welcome. As an aside, it is true that I owned this cassette tape in middle school. It is also true that Steve Gershom mentioned The Mavericks on Twitter a few weeks ago and I felt a little less dorky.


2 - So the last week and a half have been awesome. If you like vomit. Vomit on the laminate floors, vomit in the plastic Easter buckets, vomit in cribs, on the sofa, on the tile floor, on the carpet, in two car seats, on the floor of the van, on the front porch. Poor JF has gone down a diaper size and he seems to be the hardest hit. He spends a lot of time watching tv, laying on the floor, and living in his pajamas. In fact, as a family we pretty much have looked like this every day:
The lone positive is that I've had plenty of stuff to offer up for the Fulwilers. Sunday night JF woke up every hour to dry heave. I felt so bad for my little boy and I'd pray to God, "Please let him get better soon. Unless this is needed for Jen. Then we'll suffer through it so she has a good birth tomorrow. I feel horrible for  him, Lord, but please apply our suffering for Jen and her baby." Jennifer Fulwiler, if you're reading this I want you to know that I'm still offering up our suffering for you, Joe, Joseph, and all your kids. You are not alone, friend!


3 - Changing the mood a bit, this is funny.


4 - Saw this...
 ...and thought, "Good. Stay away from me - you and your dander and tongue and whacking tail that knocks over my toddlers."

5 - Yesterday I made some Cinnamon Babka bread using Cook's Country's recipe. They said it should look like this:

It was very different from any kind of bread I've ever made before and I was a little uneasy about the recipe. I wanted to call up Chris Kimball and be like, "Hey Chris. This is Bonnie. Love your show. I'm making your Babka recipe - my husband and I have a subscription to your websites - *love* America's Test Kitchen, by the way.  Anyways, the recipe says I'm supposed to put the dough in the fridge and let it rise until doubled. Is that a typo? I thought yeast needed warmth to rise. Did I miss an episode of the show or something?"

Mine doesn't look quite like theirs but overall I'd say it's pretty good for a first attempt:
And oh my goodness does it every taste wonderful. As it should with 10 Tbsp of butter in it.


6 - Last night I was telling my mom how overwhelmed I feel by my kids. It is true that two weeks of puke, excessive laundry, lots of extra tiredness and clinginess from 4 kids all at about the same time, and not being able to go anywhere because my children are sick is really taking its toll. So at least I have a legit reason to feel overwhelmed. I asked her if she remembered feeling overwhelmed by her children and she said, "I don't remember but I'm sure I did." Then she told me a story about my great-great grandmother.

Elizabeth Wernsman had eleven children and raised twelve, and almost all of them were boys (I think I've got that right). One day a neighbor was visiting and, seeing that my great grandpa and his brothers were fighting outside, exclaimed, "Lizzie! Those boys are going to kill each other!" To which my great-great grandma said, "I don't hear anything," and kept about her business.


7 - Thanks, Grace, for hosting this week. I almost didn't speak to you because I'm so jealous that you took a road trip and got to hang out with the likes of Hallie and Rachel. Whatevs. Next time you're driving on I-74 stop by the thriving metropolis of Goodfield, population 700, and my kids will give Julia some tips on using the potty.

And here it is, your moment of Zen.


20 comments:

  1. #4. my favorite. I do not dig dogs. But, more than that I do not dig crazy dog owners that post things like, 'if you do not like dogs, I do not like you'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's supposed to be the dog saying "I don't like you" but not so sure because some people are CRAZY about their dogs. One of James' therapists told me the story of a client's grandmother taking her bitty dog and grandbaby on a walk, both in a double stroller. A large dog being walked by its owner charged the stroller and the grandmother honestly didn't know who she would protect first - her dog or her grandchild.

      But I took it as the dog saying it to me because I don't like pets and usually dogs and cats won't leave me alone. The last thing I want/need is some dog licking me,sniffing my crotch, getting its fur on my clothes, jumping up on my kids, and getting their dander on our clothes so James and Bennet break out.

      Delete
  2. My sympathies on the sickness! Thank God our vomit and feces were confined to beds so I could at least wash sheets, etc., on hot, and not try to figure out how to clean carpet in our rented house. And my mother has the same response about being overwhelmed by kids. She acknowledges that parenting little ones is tough, and she's sure there were awful days, but she says that if she could relive any time in her life it would be when we were little. I try to remember that on happy days and not stressful ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is like the best ecard I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watch Cooks Country a lot on PBS. Chris' background isn't culinary. He has a degree in primitive art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so interesting. I wonder what led him to the kitchen.

      Delete
  5. Your #4 - may have added to my crabbiness today :( - walking away from computer now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll apologize even though you have left the computer. Sorry!

      Delete
    2. No need to apologize - but the hostess in me will be continually worried about having you over to my house if you dislike dogs so much because I would seriously not want my guests to feel that way at my house and I hate hearing my dog howl when he's crated because that gets irritating and annoying for everyone involved. I ate some dark chocolate covered cranberries which made it all better ;)

      Delete
    3. Maybe I've only had experience with you old dog, who didn't bother me. Honestly, if the pet stays away from me after the initial greeting and doesn't jump on my kids (especially James) I have no problem being in a home with a pet. Your dogs have never seemed annoying to me. Sorry to make you fret and I hope I didn't forever get uninvited to your house!

      Delete
  6. HA! Great QT Bonnie. We got out from under a stomach bug just in time for these crazy temperatures to give everyone a drippy nose cold. Hope you're all back to normal soon, or maybe back to normal but quieter?
    And I must agree, I was very jealous of Grace and in general I feel like everyone I read lives in the midwest or Texas. What is it about Jersey that scares away bloggers? I'm hoping when we travel to WI this summer I can meet up with someone, anyone, at a rest stop somewhere at least long enough to snap a blurry photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kelly! Pick me! Pick me! I'll meet up with you!. I am giving birth in the middle of July but that might not stop me.

      Delete
  7. Love your #4. Yesterday Gus (5) was skipping ahead of us as we walked down the little alleys of Capri and disappeared around a corner, then all of a sudden came tearing back towards us with a boxer-type dog chasing him! Fortunately Gus is my fastest kid and he totally outran that dog. The owner walked past a moment later and shrugged at us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay... interesting about the fridge. Thanks for sharing that. I think having it cold also made it a lot easier to roll out. It would have been an ooey-gooey, butter mess on my counter otherwise.

    If you do make it be sure you let it cool for 20 minutes in the pan. I didn't do that and it didn't finish setting correctly. And you may want to invest in some Reynolds pan lining paper. One side is parchment and one side aluminum foil. It was perfect for lining the loaf pan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3 - Couldn't stop laughing.
    5 - Yum!!
    7 - Love it. Going to the Jim. hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad was one of five, all very close in age. The only thing my grandma complained about was all the laundry :) I love all my uncles and aunts and LOVE all the stories they share about their childhood and the mischievous things they did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, your Mavericks reference has made me feel less dorky, so thanks for spreading the love. Or the... societal affirmation?

    My husband puts bread in the fridge to rise with some frequency (he used to work in bakeries), and it just takes longer. He'll usually do that if he's letting them rise overnight. On the other hand, he's always making up parodies of the Cooks Illustrated recipes I get from my aunt, so... you may extrapolate from there.

    Sorry to hear everyone's sick-- I hope they get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. #4: Agreed -- I'm not a dog person because I've had enough owners make no effort to control their canines and have almost been attacked on a few occasions. Then there's the slobber. I hate the slobber.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just now getting a chance to catch up on your blog. Thank you sooo much for offering all that up for us. We should be good for about a year now. :)

    ReplyDelete