October 24, 2012

Red Lipstick

I did it.  I bought a tube of red lipstick.  "Red Revolution."  It's actually kind of pink-y.

In exchange for her Delish Biscuity Scone-sh Treats recipe I told Dwija I would share my tips on wearing red lipstick.  So this is what I've got:

A friend from high school reminded me via Facebook that the eye make-up should be more simple when one wears red lipstick.  So I did that, but I usually keep the eyes simple since I wear glasses.


I envisioned old screen sirens telling me to "just do it, darling" in between drags on their cigarettes.


Gaston from Beauty and the Beast says you should screw your courage to the sticking point, and while he may have been talking about hunting down beasts I thought it was appropriate advice in this situation.


I applied it in the presence of my 4 year old daughter who thinks I am utterly beautiful.


I pumped myself up by listening to Ke$ha tell me to live like "we're gonna die young."

And then I just said to myself, "Oh what the heck!" and put it on and left the house.
with a double chin.

So there you go, Dwij.  Those are my tips for wearing red lipstick.

19 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Gosh the last time I put actual lipstick on was probably my wedding (Nick likes bare lips for kissing..so I don't even bother) But I also want to say that I think you like like Zoe Deschanel! You look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trav likes bare lips, too. And he said this was "too bright". In fact, he encouraged me to wear it out in public when I wasn't with him so other men would not find me attractive. Puh-lease! Because 4 kids and 40 extra lbs make me look hot? Not to anyone besides Travis! :)

      Which is the way I like it. :)

      Delete
    2. Ha! That sounds like something Nick would say to me. If Nick would have it his way... He wouldn't want me to wear make up at all. And if I had it my way, I would dress like the ladies in The Help.

      Delete
  2. Oh my- this looks so good on you! You have the right cheek bones for it! And the glasses... Well, now YOU'RE the hipster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- the color is fantastic, and with the glasses, definitely hipster. I love it.

      Delete
  3. Love the "just do it darling!" You've got FI-YA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. You look so freaking amazing! Looooooove. IT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look fantastic!! Now if I could get enough confidence to wear some... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic!!! I love it! I also feel uncomfortable with red lipstick, I feel clownish (and yes, I do bare-minimum eyes). How did you pick out the color? And Paul is the same way, he's not a fan of brighter lips. Men!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And that's not a double chin! That's muscles in your face (a face thin enough to show them!) from pursing your lips and smiling. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks very fun! You have the right complexion for it. I happen to like red lipstick alot, but I don't do it often, but when I do I soften the "pinky-ness" with a lighter color on top. Also for a slightly darker, less bright red, I recommend Bronze lipstick from Mary Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, it looks beautiful on you! Oh and I always try to pair my red lips with neutral colored clothes such as your black shirt in the photo (but maybe that is just me trying to blend into the background.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect shade, Bonnie! Love it! But then again...I've always loved red lipstick. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well just paint your door red and call yourself Elizabeth Arden! Looking fab, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That red transforms you - and you can really pull it off!!

    ReplyDelete