September 21, 2012

7 quick takes


 1 - I'm a little embarrassed to tell you that I had never heard this song before it was on Glee.  I think it's fabulous, hope you do too!

2 - Despite my better judgement I have started watching The Walking Dead.  I actually started it a long time ago, had to stop during the first 15 minutes and then left it alone for a long time.  I'm not sure why but I decided to go back to it again.  I got through the first 3 episodes, didn't sleep very well, and so returned to the island (that's code for "I started watching Lost again.").  But tonight, while I did dishes, I watched another zombie-full episode.  Travis will be forced to come to bed at the same time as me tonight.

And you are stupid to watch zombie shows right before bed, Bonnie!

3 - Watching The Walking Dead wouldn't have been hard 15 years ago, or even 20 years ago when I thrilled in being scared.  I think two things have changed that for me #1 - I have become more aware of how real creepy, evil things are around us.  #2 - I have become a mother.  To combine #1 and #2 with an example:  When my kids have nightmares I am sure to mark their foreheads and beds with the sign of the cross, say the St. Michael prayer, and to speak aloud the Name of Jesus.

4 - I told a friend - her oldest is in his early 20's - about how the zombie show has me worried about a possible zombie apocalypse and how horrible it would be if my kids turned into zombies or if I turned into zombies or if we had to live in a boarded up house fighting off zombies all the time.  And my friend looked off into the distance and sincerely said, "I think I can honestly say that I have never had that fear before."

5 - Enough about zombies!  Let me tell you something that happened with our phone:
To begin I must tell you this simple fact - we are poor.  In an effort to cut expenses and not go on food stamps we decided to get rid of one of our cell phones.  We have a home phone for emergency purposes and Travis and I decided that we could share a cell phone and ask people to call us on the landline more often.  So to make a long story short, we're saving over $30 a month, but we both still have cell phones and a better plan than we had before!

6 - Today I'm speaking at the Catholic Press Association Midwest Regional Conference.  Woo-hoo!  They asked me to speak for about 15 minutes... I'm gonna try my best to keep it at that!

7 - Here's a few links I loved this past week:
Simcha Fisher's "Much Ado About Vocations"
Edmund Mitchell's "All Hipsters Eventually Become Catholic"
Sam Harris' "On the Freedom to Offend an Imaginary God"

17 comments:

  1. I know you don't know me and hope you don't think I'm a crazy stalker. I've been following your blog since James was born. Anyway, your comments about the zombie apocolypse made me laugh. Every time I watch a disaster movie (alien invasion, asteroid, volcano, dramatic climate change, etc) I always think about how I would protect my children whether in our home, escaping in the van, or on foot. What would I take with me, what would I need to find. I asked my husband once what route he'd take to evacuate, and he'd never once thought about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I think it's great that you read! I love it! Thank you. :)

      Do you live near a volcano?

      I often picture myself running out of a burning home or away from some kind of man with a gun carrying all four of my kids.

      Delete
  2. I love zombies and zombie shows and movies. I cannot wait until Walking Dead starts up again. Zombie shows don't scare me. Not many scary movies do (with the exception of Paranormal Activity: could not sleep for a few nights). We bought a zombie apocalypse board game. We should get together sometime and play it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm counting down the days until Walking Dead, too! Have you seen the Catholic zombie novel-as-actual-letters? It's called "Ora et Labora et Zombies". I'm (impatiently) waiting for my first letter to arrive in the mail.

      Delete
    2. Mia, you and Nick are crazy. Do you remember when a group from Newman went to see The Exorcism of Emily Rose and I told Nick I wouldn't go and watch the devil tap dance?

      I'm an idiot.

      Delete
    3. Cari, That actually sounds brilliant. I'm thinking Christmas present for my brother...

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've ever thought about zombies either, and I sure don't need one more thing to have anxiety about! Good ideas about helping the kids with nightmares though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have returned to the island again too, for like the sixth time. ;)

    I always make the sign of the cross on the kids' foreheads when they go to bed and again when I go to bed. I think I'm a little OCD about it (once is probably enough) but whatever. I started doing it after my mom told me how she does that on the pictures of my siblings and I as we all moved out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, that's so cool - your mom making the sign of the cross on the pictures! Wow - I have to remember that!

      I do the sign of the cross at bedtime, too, I'm claiming them for Christ!

      Delete
  6. Ok I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes the sign of the cross on my kid at bedtime. ( I have to do it 3 times though while I say the St. Michael prayer).

    Yes I do remember when newman people saw Emily Rose. I remember yelling at Nick about that after because no one invited me to go! Lol. But I dragged Nick along to go see it with me again that week (this was before we were dating, and I didnt realize Nick liked me and I was flabbergasted that he would want to see that movie twice in one week. Lol)

    Haha you're not an idiot. I love devil movies, and reading books about possession and exorcism. But because of all my watching and reading, I feel like I constantly am saying a prayer to St. Michael after hearing the wind against my house, or creaking noises, or when Clark's toys make noises, or when nick talks in his sleep, etc.etc.etc.!! St. Michael has probably hired a dozen other angels to watch over my house with all the prayers he gets from us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never done well with any movies about the demonic. I have had to follow my husband everywhere (ahem) if he gets up during the night if we watch one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. #5: Have you looked into WIC? It's a supplementary food program for families with kids under 5 years old. It was started by Jimmy Carter as a way to give mothers a way to feed their kids and thus take away one excuse for aborting them. (Seriously, it does have pro-life roots.) They're pro-breastfeeding and their threshold for qualification is higher than it would be for food stamps. (Food stamps is poverty line or slightly over. WIC is 185% of poverty line.) I've been on it for 2 years now and my current office has been really helpful with my son who had food issues. If you have questions, I'm jen at grace-filled dot net.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that song!

    I've never really gotten into the Zombie thing but I think it's because I make sure that I stay oblivious to it. I have enough fear of birds, ghosts, and demons, I don't need to add Zombies to the list. ;-)

    Hope that you speech went wonderfully! I'm sure you killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Walking Dead too! I dvr it so I can watch and fast forward if it is too intense or go back to catch some of the dialogue I missed. It is a show where the story line is the survivors and the zombies are secondary. I hope there is a happy ending for that show sometime! My family thinks I'm nuts for liking zombie shows and movies. My special needs daughter(18) is a fan also.....used to like vampires (Twilight series). I didn't know about St. Michael so thanks for that info. Love your blog!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you seen Breaking Bad? It is fantastic! I like realistic dramas rather than science fiction types and B. Bad sure satisfies that. Also Mad Med is an excellent period drama. You could try those 2instead of icky zombies

    ReplyDelete